Monday, January 6, 2014

Alma 29:9-10

Mum, Pops, Family and Friends!
                                                                                                           
So guess what? It's 2014!!! Crazy sauce! How did you start out the new year? Resolutions? Service? Eat healthy? Share the gospel? They're all great! especially the last one...;) As for Sister Edwards and I, we started off the year by reading the 4 gospels in the new testament, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price with the Other missionaries, and oh, how WONDERFUL it was!! I love that God continues to give us more scripture, that He never stops talking to us through a prophet and personal revelation! How incredible is that? There's a modern day Adam, or Moses or Abraham or any other prophet in the Bible or Book of Mormon, on the Earth TODAY!! I love it. kind of a lot! :) (For those who aren't very familiar with this living prophet, go to lds.org, then type Thomas S. Monson into the search box, and get to know the Prophet of God on the Earth today. Enjoy!) We were also able to start off the new year by finding a new investigator named Shelda. She's from Trinidad and we knocked on her door. Blessing that it was -14' outside that she let us in and stood there yearning at the Book of Mormon as we were telling her about it. Because she wanted to read it right then and there, we asked if we could share where it came from and how she can come to know that it's the word of God, and she happily accepted. We had a wonderful lesson as the Spirit was there so very strong! She said it just made sense that God would call another prophet and give us more scripture, and she's excited to try out the 'equation' (read, ponder, pray about it, and come to church) to know that it's true. She's such an incredibly faithful woman and we are so grateful to have met her and introduced our testimonies of our Savior, Jesus Christ and His restored Church! :) And! what a great birthday present to Sister Edwards to meet such a nice woman! Sister Edwards is turning 20 tomorrow!! woot woot! Happy birthday to her! she's just so great. I love her kind of a lot. We've got some bacon and pancakes planned and singing to her at zone training tomorrow! woohoo! :)

alright, let's jump into...QUESTION TIME!!!
1.  Did you get your new apartment organized?  Pictures?!?
kind of, we're working on it. Making it ours is what we're still struggling with. it kind of seems like a bomb shelter right now because everything is white. actually...I've never been in a bomb shelter so I'm not sure if they're white. maybe an insane asylum? but it doesn't feel that way. just looks. :) I'll give you pics when it's our apartment, mmm k?;) or at least gets better...but hey, if you want to write me, here you go! (ps one of my new years resolutions is to write back to those that write me, so if you write me, you'll get a letter. sometime...;))

Sister Janelle De Groot
660 Kaiser Dr
Mississauga, ON
L5W 1T6
CANADA

2.  Did your New Years package arrive yet?  (If yes, have you received it from the other sisters yet?)
it hadn't up to this weekend so my guess is it arrived today and I'll pick it up tomorrow :)
3.  How did meeting Brian go?
He actually already left to Guyana. But our call went well! we'll see him when he gets back in a month. :) 
4.  Any message for Bailey who turns 8 next Sunday (12th)?  (Her baptism is on January 18th)
Happy Birthday, B!!!! I am so excited for you on this special day of yours! not only are you 8, (you're so old!!), but you've decided, yourself, to get baptized! B, I want you to know how proud I am of you! You have such a sweet heart and are going to be an INCREDIBLE helper to Heavenly Father in His Church! Ask mommy for a piece of paper and a pen and make sure to write down your feelings from your baptism and receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, because I can promise you, you're going to treasure that experience! almost 14 years ago, I was baptized and can still remember that same feeling I felt because I documented it! Do the same, sweet B and you will be so grateful! I am so proud of you, big girl!!!! Ask mommy to give you a big hug for me! I'll be there in Spirit!:) Love you, Bailey girl!!!!
5.  After walking up the stairs from your basement apartment, what is the first thing you see each day?
Some cute little trees in the backyard of our landlords house all covered in snow!:)
6.  Am I correct in that you no longer have a car?  How is that going?
Nope, still have a car! It would be miserable to walk around Toronto doing exchanges! haha
7.  Are you still a Sister Training Leader in your new area?
Sure am!  and Loving every second of it!!
8.  How many sets of Sister Missionaries are in your District/Zone that you go on splits with?
10 companionships :) 

FINISH MY SENTENCE:
9.  My favorite teaching experience this week was with (____) and centered around (       )....
Shelda, The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So incredible! :)
10.  My most memorable study session was on....
Giving up "all" to be a servant of the Lord. I read Acts 4 and it was so incredible how Peter and John refused to give up their testimony or hide it in any way. I was taking inventory of my teaching and contacting, and wondering why in some certain situations, I back down a bit, especially here in and around Toronto where many people do not believe in Jesus Christ at all or have a small understanding of His role as our Savior and Redeemer. I was simply thinking about how precious this testimony is to me, what I know to be true. and being a missionary, a representative of Jesus Christ doesn't mean I push my religion on people, but I have the sacred opportunity to declare what I know to be true, without hesitation and invite all to find out for themselves. I would deeply recommend reading Acts chapter 4 and see what revelation you receive for your personal testimony or missionary work. I love you all so much, remember "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith!" 
11.  Sister Edwards and I had a wonderful time....
basically beating up the car this morning with our snow scraper. the car was COMPLETELY frozen over that no doors would open and our little tiwi told us our car might have no battery because of the cold. silly tiwi. everything's all good now!:)
12.  The last time I met one-on-one with President Scott was....
2 transfers ago (but I get to in 2 weeks!!) 
13.  My favorite thing about that time together was....
feeling of his love and appreciation not only to me and the other missionaries, but for everyone here within the Canada Toronto Mission and his love for the work of the Lord. He just gets it, and it's incredible how tuned into the Spirit he is. I feel like a great leader is one who has found the balance between justice and mercy, and I feel like President Scott represents that balance almost perfectly! 
14.  Our plans for today include....
Getting our oil changed at the Chevy Dealer, food shopping, buying  a couple hats for myself because it's a little bit really cold, making our apartment ours and writing letters. oh and eating. because I'm kind of really hungry. shocker, eh? some things never change...:)
15.  Did you ever take a picture of your completed "ornament-filled" Christmas tree?  PICTURE, please!!!
oh yikes...haha not completely, but I brought it to mississauga to take a picture of, so I'll do that this week, really! going in planner...:)
16.  This next week, I am especially looking forward to....
pounding the pavement in our new area! and going on exchange with Sister Stoddard and Hermana Sandall. I served in London with Sister Stoddard, Sister Zerkle trained her and I hear the latter is an incredible missionary!!!
17.  I am MOST grateful for....
fasting
scriptures
canada gloves
the caldwells (office missionaries that went home this past week)
the reeses (office missionaries that go home this week)
The testimony of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ

Well, I need to head out, and I hope you can feel of my love and adoration for this work. I love being here in Ontario and serving my fellow man. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I love His restored Gospel. I know that this is true! His Church has been restored, I know this because He has answered my prayers by giving me a witness from the Holy Spirit. I know that this is our Father's work, and what an honor it is that we have all been called, members and missionaries alike, to share this great and Restored message of Truth! How GREAT is our calling!

Love for now and for ever,
Sister De Groot :)

Missionary Invitation: question #10 :) What does this chapter mean to you? and what are you going to do with that knowledge?


Read-a-Thon with the Zone

gross bug in our apartment

and yup. it says -19'. welcome to Ontario my friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment